Court of Appeals ruling allows Bevin administration case against Planned Parenthood to proceed

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someone

The Kentucky Court of Appeals last week reversed a judge from Jefferson Circuit Court and ruled in favor of the Bevin Administration in an important case regarding the health and safety of women in the Commonwealth.

The Cabinet for Health and Family Services filed a lawsuit last year against Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky, Inc., after its Louisville facility unlawfully performed nearly two dozen abortions in December 2015 and January 2016 without a license. The Jefferson Circuit Court preemptively ruled that the Administration’s suit was without merit.

The Kentucky Court of Appeals unanimously disagreed, ruling that the Cabinet can continue to pursue its claims for monetary penalties against Planned Parenthood.

“We applaud today’s Court of Appeals ruling allowing this important case to proceed,” said Steve Pitt, Gov. Bevin’s general counsel. “The facts are clear and alarming: Between Dec. 3, 2015 and Jan. 28, 2016, Planned Parenthood’s Louisville facility performed 23 abortions without proper licensing or emergency safeguards in place. This disregard for both the safety of women and the rule of law is simply unacceptable, and Planned Parenthood must be held accountable.”

Between Dec. 3, 2015 and Jan. 28, 2016, when the Cabinet first learned that Planned Parenthood had been operating an unlicensed abortion facility without hospital and ambulance transfer agreements, Planned Parenthood performed 23 abortions, placing its patients’ health and safety at an extreme risk.

From Governor’s Office

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someone

Related Posts

One Comment

  1. Mark Nolan says:

    The war on women by the GOP continues unabated.

Leave a Comment