A publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

Historic Preservation Review Board to consider 14 nominations to National Register

Fourteen nominations to the National Register of Historic Places will be considered during a meeting of the Kentucky Historic Preservation Review Board today at Paul Sawyier Public Library in Frankfort.

Among the proposals is a multiple property submission documenting the growth and development of the Kentucky State Parks system from 1924 through 1973, and an individual listing for Lake Cumberland State Resort Park in Jamestown, which includes 67 contributing resources such as cottages and residences, picnic areas and shelters, trails and scenic overlooks, a nature center and two lodges.

The review board is charged with evaluating nominations prior to their submission to the National Park Service (NPS), which will issue a final determination of listing within 45 days of receipt. The Kentucky Heritage Council/State Historic Preservation Office administers the National Register program in Kentucky and provides administrative support to the board.

Other nominations to be considered are:

Dr. Francis Joseph Halcomb, Jr. House

Allen County: Dr. Francis Joseph Halcomb, Jr. House, 253 Franklin Road, Scottsville; including a house with its original c1900 log structure and six outbuildings painted to simulate log construction. A native of Simpson County, Halcomb received his medical degree in 1943, practiced in Europe during World War II, then opened a medical office in Scottsville, where he practiced for more than 40 years

 Edmonson County: Chalybeate Springs Hotel Springhouse, 2327 Chalybeate Road, Chalybeate; a modest one-story building constructed circa 1875-1899, the only remaining structure on grounds where a rural mineral springs hotel and resort once stood. Until the 1940s, scores of mineral springs resorts in Kentucky treated tuberculosis patients, as doctors believed fresh air and mineral waters had a curative effect. The construction of the state’s six TB hospitals in the 1940s, and the advent of penicillin, rendered these mineral springs resorts obsolete, and today few remnants remain

Pope Villa

Fayette County: Pope Villa, 326 Grosvenor Avenue, Lexington; nominated for its national significance, one of only three houses by U.S. Capitol architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe remaining in the U.S., being interpreted for its architectural significance and for its information potential with respect to the interaction of architects and builders in the early days of this country

Jefferson County/Metro Louisville:

The Adams House, 2811 Rainbow Drive; a brick, Colonial Revival-style home designed by noted Louisville architect Stratton O. Hammon, dating to 1948

Louisville Veteran’s Administration Hospital, 800 Zorn Avenue; a complex of 13 contributing buildings over 58 acres, nominated for its statewide significance as a veteran’s hospital built in 1952 as part of the VA’s effort to provide a nationwide program of care for WWII veterans. Today the VA has undertaken a nationwide study of its facilities, and this nomination follows a recent listing of the VA Hospital in Lexington, another sprawling campus

Louisville Railway Company High Street Power Station, 2005 Northwestern Parkway; a complex including two contributing buildings dating to 1912-13, the principal one designed by D. X. Murphy & Brothers Architects of Louisville. The station generated electricity for the Louisville & Interurban Railway Company, and when it was acquired by Louisville Gas & Electric in 1930, continued supporting the streetcar system until its demise. In the 1960s the station shifted to distributing electricity to LG&E customers

Queen Products Company, Inc., Complex, 1226-1234 Rowan Street; a complex of adjoining structures of various ages and compositions, the earliest of which dates to 1870, being interpreted for its identity as an industrial facility

LeCompte Saloon, 3200 Rudd Avenue; a two-story brick commercial building dating to the mid-1880s, one of the earliest corner stores remaining in the historic Portland neighborhood, which operated as a saloon under various owners through the early 20th century and remains largely intact

Mason County

May’s Lick Negro School

May’s Lick Negro School, 5003 Raymond Road, May’s Lick; a consolidated school built in 1920 for African Americans during the era of racially segregated schooling, a portion of which was funded by a grant from the Rosenwald Foundation

Richard Durrett House, 804 Clarks Run Road, Maysville vicinity; a brick, two-and-a-half story, six-bay Federal-style house dating to about 1801, with an unusual floor plan featuring two front doors leading directly into two front rooms with no center hall

G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Monument, Maysville-Mason County Cemetery, 1521 Forest Avenue; a 42-foot monument to Union efforts erected by the Joseph Heiser G.A.R. Post, the largest national veterans’ organization following the Civil War, and dedicated July 4, 1887 on land donated by the cemetery

The National Register is the nation’s official list of historic and archaeological resources deemed worthy of preservation. Kentucky has the fourth-highest number of listings among states, with more than 3,400. Listing can be applied to buildings, objects, structures, districts and archaeological sites, and proposed sites must be significant in architecture, engineering, American history or culture.

Detailed nominations with photos are available at www.heritage.ky.gov.

From Kentucky Heritage Council

 

Related Posts

Leave a Comment