|Sign up for KyForward news updates|
Each week, KyForward will select a yummy recipe from the American Heart Association’s Healthy Cooking site. We’re picking something that just sounds good to us – but you can fast-forward to heart.org/simplecooking to choose your own recipes (maybe for tomorrow’s family dinner). If you find a really good one, please share it with us. And if you have a healthy recipe of your own, share that, too, at email@example.com.
Wishing you healthy eating . . .
Asian-Style Noodles with Pork and Vegetables
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger root (can substitute 2 teaspoons of minced garlic from the jar)
3/4 pound pork tenderloin or pork chops, visible fat removed, cut in to bite-sized pieces (can substitute chicken, beef or shrimp)
2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
1 16-ounce bag frozen stir fry vegetables, Asian style
2 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, if you like really spicy, add ½ teaspoon)
1/4 cup light teriyaki sauce (can substitute low-sodium soy sauce)
1 3-ounce pack ramen noodles, seasoning pack discarded
1. Cook frozen vegetables in microwave according to package instructions minus two minutes . Drain off excess water.
2. Rinse pork and pat dry. Heat deep skillet or wok over medium heat. Pour in oil and swirl to coat. Add pork and ginger to skillet and cook five minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer pork to a plate and set aside.
3. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add cabbage and vegetables, cook for five minutes stirring constantly.
4. Stir in broth and red pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Break noodles into four to six chunks. Reduce heat to a simmer and add noodles and teriyaki sauce. Cover and simmer five to seven minutes until noodles are done. Return pork to skillet and let stand three minutes.
Total Fat 8. 0 g
Saturated Fat 3.0 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.0 g Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 465 mg
Carbohydrates 26 g
Fiber 4 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 25 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat