Enter your e-mail to sign up
for Our Daily News Updates

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Campbellsville spring means drums, high school percussion ensembles and concerts

The Campbellsville University Steel Band performing at last year's Percussion Ensemble Festival (Photo from CU)

The Campbellsville University Steel Band performing at last year’s Percussion Ensemble Festival (Photo from CU)

By Hanna Hall
Special to KyForward

Campbellsville University’s School of Music presents its third Percussion Ensemble Festival on Saturday, April 5, beginning at 10:45 a.m. in the Gosser Fine Arts Center. The event will feature the CU Percussion Ensemble and performances by five high schools from across Kentucky.

The day-long event will also feature percussion fundamental clinics by Chris Norton and his solo performance with the CU Percussion Ensemble, student recitals and the CU Steel Band.

Norton is professor of music and director of percussion studies at Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn. Prior to Belmont, he taught at Western Kentucky University for 14 years. His bachelor’s and master’s degrees are from the Eastman School of Music, and his doctorate is from Louisiana State University.

Norton performs regularly as a percussionist with the Nashville Symphony, Alias Chamber Ensemble, Sympatico Percussion Group and the Peninsula Music Festival Orchestra.

The five high school percussion ensembles will have the opportunity to be critiqued and then perform later during the evening concert at 6 p.m.

Chad Floyd, assistant professor of music at Campbellsville and organizer of the event, said, “The percussion festival is a great event for percussion enthusiasts or even someone who just enjoys music. With the clinics, concerts, recitals and door prizes, there is something for everyone.”

Floyd will lead drum set fundamentals at 10:45 a.m., and the CU Steel Band will perform at 1 p.m. Cory Barnes will lead timpani fundamentals. There will be a student recital at 2:45 p.m. with a featured clinic with Norton at 3:30 p.m.

The evening concert with high school percussion ensemble performances is at 6 p.m. the CU Percussion Ensemble performs at 7:30 p.m.

The event is open to the public and tickets are $5, which includes all-day access to the activities and also a chance to win door prizes to be drawn throughout the event.

For more information, contact Floyd at ccfloyd@campbellsville.edu. The event is supported by the Kentucky Chapter of the Percussive Arts Society.

CU Orchestra Spring Concert

The Campbellsville University Orchestra will present its spring concert at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 15, in Ransdell Chapel on campus. The concert is free and open to the public.

Conducting will be orchestra conductor J. Robert Gaddis as well as two of his conducting students – Leonardo Barros from Brazil and Eunsil Park from South Korea.

The program includes John William’s Soundtrack Highlights, Dvorak’s New World Symphony, 1st Movement, Haydn’s Surprise Symphony, 2nd Movement and the Violin Concerto No. 1 by Max Bruch featuring soloist Kimberly Tichenor, Campbellsville University violin instructor and member of the Louisville Orchestra.

For questions, contact the School of Music at 270-789-5237.

Hanna Hall is a student news writer at Campbellsville University. News and publications coordinator Joan C. McKinney also contributed to this story.

Comments

comments