Search Our Smart Money
|Sign up to receive Our Smart Money|
Happy Thursday – already. Derby week is speeding ahead to the Saturday starting gate. Have you picked your winner yet? (KyForward’s Seth Kochera has some insight for you and Robert Treadway is sharing great memories of Derbies past.)
We’ve picked our winner of the four free admission tickets to the fabulous Kentucky Horse Park. In fact, Suzy liked the response so much, she’s going to give tickets to TWO lucky winners:
They both “liked” KyForward on Facebook and have signed up for our daily news and Smart Money emails. Hope you’ll do the same by clicking the connections. Tell your friends – there are some really fabulous giveaways coming soon!
Stay healthy – it’s the key to good living
Keeping healthy is a Smart Money move, you know. With health care costs climbing, it make sense to focus on prevention and wellness – so you can use your money in ways you want to as you live an active life.
May is stroke awareness month so thanks to UK HealthCare for offering FREE stroke screenings throughout the month at various locations across the UK HealthCare Campus.
Screenings are avaible for you (or your loved one) to learn their risk of stroke and get tips on how to reduce risk factors at the following locations:
• Health Education Center, Chandler Hospital Pavilion A, first floor, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, May 8
• Kentucky Clinic (3rd floor across from the deli), 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., May 17
• Good Samaritan Hospital Cafe, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 22
Please take advantage. Strokes kill. According to the American Stroke Association:
• About 795,000 Americans each year suffer a new or recurrent stroke. That means, on average, a stroke occurs every 40 seconds.
• Stroke kills more than 137,000 people a year — that’s about one of every 18 deaths. Stroke is the he No. 4 cause of death in the U.S.
• On average, every 4 minutes someone dies of stroke.
• About 40 percent of stroke deaths occur in males, and 60 percent in females.
• The 2006 stroke death rates per 100,000 population for specific groups were 41.7 for white males, 41.1 for white females, 67.7 for black males and 57.0 for black females.
• Americans will pay about $73.7 billion in 2010 for stroke-related medical costs and disability.
UK HealthCare also offers a stroke risk card and education sheet online. For more information, or to download these forms, visit ukhealthcare.uky.edu.
Please, please, Suzy friends, do all you can to prevent strokes – for yourself and those you love. Suzy speaks from the painful experience of her own dear parents – and does not wish this experience for you.
Tips to get on a savings track
Good advice from The Simple Dollar Thesimpledollar.com with the additional good advice that everyone can save. The hardest part is getting started. They offer 100 tips, but here are just a few. Think about it. Choose one or two – and practice! Pennies do add up to dollars – and you can live well, save some, and enjoy! Remember Suzy’s friend, Gene Bigler, and her great advice: Being frugal is good, but you can’t forget to enjoy – as in drinking wine from the good glass.
Turn a critical eye to your “collections.” Most people collect something – what do you collect? Is it something that consistently brings you joy? Or is it something that you just do out of habit? Does the collection itself have value? Could you perhaps “trim the fat” by getting rid of duplicates or the items you no longer use? Also, could you perhaps cut down on your spending on that hobby? Focus on trimming the things you don’t feel strongly about – if you dig into things that bother you, you’re going to eventually relapse.
Sign up for every free customer rewards program you can. Even if you rarely shop at that place, having a rewards card for that place will eventually net you some coupons and discounts. Here’s the trick: create a Gmail address just for these mailings, collect every card you can, and then check that account for extra coupons whenever you’re ready to shop.
Make your own gifts instead of buying stuff from the store. (This includes Mother’s Day gifts, Suzy friends). You can make food mixes, candles, bread, cookies, soap, and all kinds of other things at home quite easily and inexpensively. These make spectacular gifts for others because they involve your homemade touch, plus often they’re consumable, meaning they don’t wind up filling someone’s closet with junk. Even better – include a personal handwritten note with the gift. This will make it even more special than anything you could possibly buy.
Master the 30-day rule. Whenever you’re considering making an unnecessary purchase, wait thirty days and then ask yourself if you still want that item. Often, you’ll find that the urge to buy has passed and you’ll have saved yourself some money by simply waiting.
Write a list before you go shopping – and stick to it. One should never go into a store without a good idea of what one will be buying while in there. Make a careful plan of what you’ll buy before you go, then stick strictly to that list when you go to the store. Don’t put anything in the cart that’s not on the list, no matter how tempting, and you’ll come out of the store saving a bundle.
Featured coupon site
Coupons.com, the granddaddy of coupon sites, has 226 printable coupons for you. Here are some – visit the site for lots more:
• SAVE $1.00 on TWO (2) packages of any LUNCHABLES Lunch Combinations with Fruit
• SAVE $1.00 when you buy any TWO BOXES General Mills cereals: Basic 4®, Cheerios®, Chex®, Cinnamon Toast Crunch®
• SAVE $1.00 off any Country Crock® Spread (Excl. Honey and Cinnamon Flavored Spread)
• SAVE $1.00 on any ONE MorningStar Farms® Veggie Foods Product
• Save $1.00 on any (1) IHOP at Home® Frozen Breakfast item
• Get $1.25 OFF On any ONE ICBINB! product
• SAVE $1.00 when you buy any TWO BOXES Cheerios® cereals: Original Cheerios®, Honey Nut Cheerios®, Frosted Cheerios®
• SAVE 75¢ on any ONE (1) package of KRAFT MILKBITE Milk & Granola Bars
• vSAVE 75¢ on any ONE (1) package of KRAFT FRESH TAKE Cheese & Breadcrumb Mix
• SAVE $0.75 On any ONE (1) pound of LAND O LAKES® Half Stick Butter Products
• SAVE $1.00 off ONE (1) 2 GIANT ROLL OR LARGER PACK OF BRAWNY® PAPER TOWELS
• SAVE $4.00 on any Non-Drowsy Claritin-D® Allergy Product (15 count or larger)
• Save 50¢ when you buy ONE POUCH any flavor 17.5 OZ. OR LARGER Betty Crocker® Cookie Mix
• $1.50 OFF ONE Pampers Swaddlers or Swaddlers Sensitive Diapers (excludes trial/travel size)
• SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) 36 oz. V8 V-Fusion® Smoothie beverage. Find in the juice aisle.
• SAVE $1.00 On Any Entenmann’s Mini Cakes
Happy, healthy Thursday (winding down to the weekend), Suzy friends. Let me know if you see any bargains out there you’d like to share with others – or have any money-saving tips to share. You can reach me any time at Suzy@kyforward.com!