Search Our Smart Money
|Sign up to receive Our Smart Money|
By Suzy $mart
Suzy loves to deliver good news and she likes to see people get free things. So, she’s over-the-top today as we have a second winner of the University Press of Kentucky’s bestselling “The Hatfields and The McCoys” book. And, of course, she’s sharing lots of good information here so, all-in-all, it’s just a great day. Hope you are having one too.
And the winner is – ta da . . .
Congrats, Angie! Suzy’s feeling like one of those big-time Tony Award presenters on TV, except she’s not wearing that. But she does also get to say that she’ll be giving away ONE MORE of these trendy feud books – and everyone who has already signed up is still in the game. If you aren’t in and want to be, email firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday at 8 a.m. when the third winner will be drawn. Tell your friends, please.
And tell your favorite man about . . .
This FREE seminar at Body Structure Medical Fitness Facility (2600 Gribbin Drive, Lexington) on “Men’s Health” June 30th at 10 a.m. The seminar will cover all areas of health essentials for men — and the avenues for success.
Men, Suzy reminds you that you are not invulnerable and she hopes you have someone who loves you reminding you to take care of yourself. Obesity rate in Kentucky is nothing to be proud of. Couch potatoes need to shape up. The knowledge of a healthier lifestyle has become more important than ever. Understanding the importance of modifications, portion control, physical fitness, physiological effects, physical therapy recovery and more will be covered in this seminar. After you have attended the seminar you will have a full understanding of how to build a better body.
Attend this free seminar and get a FREE bonus – a ½ hour personal training session with one of Body Structure’s professionals and a mini-fitness evaluation.
Call 859-268-8190 for more information – get healthy and tell them Suzy sent you because she loves her friends and wants them to have long, healthy lives.
Your library – your best bargain
Suzy loves our public libraries. They are a first-choice stopping place for you to take the kids this summer – and every one of our fabulous public libraries has a full, fun, entertaining schedule of activities – parties, sleepovers, painting and crafts, storytimes, clowns and magicians – for all ages, designed to engage kids in reading and loving books. Check your local library’s web site for its calendar – and take advantage of this free, wonderful opportunity to keep the kids connected to books over the summer. You won’t be sorry – and it’s the best thing you can do to help them do well in school.
Here’s one example for Friday:
The Woodford County Library Summer Program Kick-off Party is Friday from 6-8pm at both libraries! For kids, teens, and adults – All are welcome! Get signed up for summer reading and set your reading goal. Play in the bouncy castle or get your face painted.
Check your county’s library schedule.
Go fish! And see a bit of your state
Lake Malone State Park (just one of many fabulous Kentucky State Parks) will hold a Fishing With Kids program June 16 from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., as part of its 50th anniversary celebration.
This FREE event is for children ages 4-15, and all children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fishing can be from the bank or a boat. Bring your own bait.
There will be drawings for prizes for participants as well as prizes for fish that are caught. The grand prize is a 14-foot johnboat. (Stringers are not allowed; please bring a bucket for fish.) A cookout for participants will follow.
The Friends of Lake Malone State Park will also have a fish fry fundraiser at 3 p.m. for $6 a plate, including a drink. The fish fry is in celebration of the park’s 50th anniversary. For more information contact Don Phelps at 270-543-7829.
For more information on the Fishing With Kids event, contact Mike Kirby at 270-725-1086 or email@example.com.
Lake Malone has a campground, fishing, picnic areas, playground and hiking trails with views of the lake. For more information, call 270-657-2111.
Today’s helpful hint
The best window cleaner: Add one-half cup of ammonia, one-half cup of white distilled vinegar and two tablespoons of cornstarch to a bucket of warm water for the perfect window-washing solution.
New to couponing?
If you are new to couponing and just want to know a bit more, here are some basics from Kaylee at Cha-Ching on a Shoestring.
First, follow the rules:
1. You can only use one manufacturer’s coupon per item. You will know a manufacturer’s coupons because “Manufacturer’s Coupon” will be printed on it.
2. Most stores will allow you to use a manufacturer’s coupon and a store coupon on the same item. This is called stacking coupons.
3. If the coupon value is greater than the item value, you may be able to make money on that item in some cases. In most cases, when stores will not allow an overage you can ask them to reduce the value of the coupon to simply make the item free.
4. In most cases, if there is a Buy One Get One Free sale, you can still use one coupon per item.
5. If you have a Buy One Get One Free coupon, you can combine that coupon with a Buy One Get One Free sale and get both items for free! (This policy can vary from store to store.)
In the world of money saving, you will discover another language you didn’t know existed, says Kaylee. Here’s a guide to coupon lingo:
• ECB – Extra Care Bucks – CVS “money” printed on receipts to be used like cash in store on your next purchase.
• RR – Register Reward – Walgreen’s “money” printed on receipts to be used like cash in store on your next purchase.
• ESR – Walgreen’s Easy Saver Rebate Program
• ESC – Walgreen’s Easy Saver Coupon
• OOP – Out of Pocket – actual cash paid
• BOGO or B1G1 – Buy One Get One FREE!
• SS – Smart Source insert in Sunday’s paper
• RP- Red Plum insert in Sunday’s paper
• P&G or PG – Procter and Gamble insert in Sunday’s paper
• V – Valassis
• Peelie – Peelable coupon located on packages
• 2/$5 – This means 2 items for $5, can be any combination.
• $1/2 – This means $1 off of 2 items, can be any combination.
• WYB – when you buy
• MIR – Mail In Rebate
• PSA – Prices start at
• mfr – manufacturer’s coupon
• crt – cash register tape
• cat or catalina – a coupon printed at the end of a receipt (often as part of a promotion when you buy certain items.)
Featured coupon site
MoneySavingMom.com has a list of best deals at Walmart. Here are a few. Check out her website for more:
• Larabars – $1.15. Buy 3 and use $0.75/3 printable. $0.90 each after coupon
• Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Polish – $1.92. Use $1/1 printable. $0.92 after coupon
• Rachael Ray Nutrish Naturally Delish – $1.88. Use Buy 2, Get1 free coupon from the 6/10 SmartSource insert. $1.25 each after coupon
• Tony’s Crispy Crust Pizza – $1.98. Use $0.50/1 printable. $1.48 after coupon
• Gerber Graduates Lil Entrees – $2. Buy 5 and use $1.10/5 printable. $1.78 each after coupon
• Greased Lightning Bottle – $2.87. Use $1/1 printable. $1.87 after coupon
• Clear Eyes Drops – $2.97. Use $1/1 coupon from the 5/13 SmartSource R insert. Or use $0.75/1 printable. As low as $1.97 after coupon
Suzy loves Thursdays because they mean Friday is almost here and Fridays mean the weekend can’t be far away. Got plans?
Happy planning! See you tomorrow.