Search Our Smart Money
|Sign up to receive Our Smart Money|
You can see back-to-school from here, and it’s hard to think that “summer” is nearly over. Time to go for school supplies and new stuff (get only what you must) and think about being better prepared next time. Suzy would like to see the summer stretch on a bit, really. Haven’t finished by check-list of all the things to do with the kids and all the little things to do around the house. Guess that’s just the way of it. Hope you did better, friends.
Create a symbol for reuse
While recycling is an effective means of preventing waste, reuse is just as crucial a step that Suzy constantly encourages. You’ve probably seen the chasing arrows Recycling Symbol thousands of times, and it has become very familiar. But there isn’t a designation to encourage the re-purposing of everyday products. To fix that, Earth911 partnered with GOOD Maker to challenge greenies and designers alike to create a universal Reuse Symbol. There’s even a $500 prize up for the winning design.
Read about their contest and submit your creative ideas on GOOD Maker for a chance to (literally) make your mark on sustainability. Join the fun – and go for the prize!
Back To School Laptop Giveaway
Suzy friend Christine Luken of Confessions of a Coupon Queen is helping Plum Crazy About Coupons celebrate 10,000 fans with an AWESOME HP laptop giveaway just in time for back to school! Giveaway runs through August 19. Plum Crazy About Coupons has teamed up with Sister’s Saving Cents, Life’s
Cheap Thrills, Tatum’s Family Reviews, Mark Your Savings, Coupon Frenzy Mom, Free Tastes Good, and lots of other great coupon bloggers to help celebrate! The prize is a HP 2000Z-2a00 series laptop, valued at $400! Follow link for all of the details. Good luck, Suzy friends.
Back to school supplies
Right now, Suzy friends, you are in a rush to accumulate all the back-to-school supplies for your kids – whether they are pre-schoolers or heading to college. And you are likely having sticker shock – even though many stores offer nice sales and on-stop shopping.
However, you are undoubtedly finding that purchasing the required supplies (some of which seem a bit over-the-top) can really put a dent in your pocketbook.
So this is probably a good time to remind you that it’s best to plan ahead for these purchases rather than getting hit full-face all at once. It’s too late for this year, but not too early to start thinking about how to avoid the big hit this time next year.
Here are some suggestions:
• Take a look at your own budget and set a dollar amount you will spend on each child for all back to school necessities.
• Start putting away a little bit every week or pay period to fund those expenses come August.
• When the time comes, plan a back-to-school shopping trip with your kids. Discuss, with your kids specifically, what they are going to need, and then make a list to bring along on your trip.
• Decide where you are going to shop and help them prioritize. Can you look at second hand shops for clothing and accessories? Do they really need a new backpack?
•Go shopping and have fun. Make a day out of it! Plan a fun breakfast out if you can or take a lunch for a picnic in the park to break up your trip. Or if you can afford to, make it a little weekend trip. Immediately after your trip start, planning for next year.
Y’s Little Free Library
Suzy loves a good book and here’s a great program so you can trade out your old books for new ones. Take a book, leave a book –a great “free” book exchange.
The YMCA of Central Kentucky will hold its Little Free Library grand opening August 7 at 1 p.m. at Third Street Stuff, part of the Y’s on-going commitment to encourage healthy lifestyles that develop spirit, mind and body. Two other locations will open soon at the Legacy Trail at the North Lexington Family YMCA and the fire station on Woodland Avenue.
Based on the simple concept of take a book, leave a book, Little Free Libraries are small to medium size boxes mounted on posts where books can be exchanged.
The Y and its volunteers have already been gathering book donations to stock the libraries for the opening event. Y staff and volunteers also assembled and decorated the libraries, which are customizable and can be crafted and decorated to fit certain themes or locales.
Featured site: Cha-Ching on a Shoestring
• Amazon: Justin Bieber “Believe” MP3 Album for ONLY $1.99
• Amazon: Pampers 720 Count Wipes ONLY $17.57 Shipped
• FREE Sample of St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub
• FREE Sample of Nescafe Memento
• FREE Sample of Woolite Extra Dark Care Detergent
• Amazon: FREE Children’s Kindle eBook – Running With Snails
Under $1 at Walmart:
Thanks to ChaChingonaShoestring.com here are the current top deals under $1 at Walmart this week:
• Glade Expressions, $5, $2/1 Glade Expressions Oil Diffuser Kit printable. Plus submit for Try Me Free Rebate on package FREE + $2 money maker after coupon and rebate!
• Glade Expressions Refill, $1.50 $2/1 Glade Expressions Collection Product from 7/15/12 SS FREE after coupon!
• BeechNut Fruities, $0.98, $1/1 BeechNut Fruities printable, FREE + $0.02 money maker after coupon!
• MilkyWay Bar, $0.74, $1/2 Milky Way Singles Bars printable, $0.24 each after coupon!
• Glade PlugIns Scented Oil Warmer, $1.38, $1/1 Glade PlugIns Scented Oil Warmer or Starter Kit printable, $1/1 Glade Plugins Scented Oil Warmer from 7/15/12 SS, $0.38 after coupon!
• ZonePerfect or Perfectly Simple Item, $0.98, $0.55/1 ZonePerfect or Perfectly Simple Item from 7/15/12 SS, $0.43 after coupon!
• Gas-X Product, 1.98, $1.25/1 Gas-X Product from 7/15/12 SS, $0.73 after coupon!
• Scotties Facial Tissues, $1, Buy 3 Get 1 Free Scotties Tissues printable. $0.75 each after coupon!
• Pure Silk Shaving Creme, $1.68, $0.80/1 Pure Silk Shave Cream from 7/8/12 RP, $0.88 after coupon!
• Sally Hansen Nail Color, $1.92, $1/1 Sally Hansen Nail Color Product printable, $0.92 after coupon!
• Right Guard TD 5 Bar Soap, $1.97, $1/1 Right Guard Bar Soap or Body Wash printable $1/1 Right Guard Bar Soap Product from 6/17/12 RP (regional) $0.97 after coupon!
• Gerber Organic Baby Food Pouches, $1.49, $1/2 Gerber Organic Baby Food Pouches printable $0.99 each after coupon!
Here are some of the hottest deals at Target this week from Chachingonashoestring:
• Papermate Ballpoint Pens (10 count), $1, $1/1 PaperMate Target printable, FREE after coupon!
• Aquafresh Kids Fresh ‘N Fruity Toothpaste, $1.87, Use $1/1 Aquafresh Target printable, Plus use $1/1 Aquafresh Kids Fresh ‘N Fruity Toothpaste printable, FREE after coupons!
• Pantene Select Shampoo or Conditioner (12 oz), $3.34, Buy 2 and use $3/2 Pantene Hair Care Target Mobile Coupon, Plus use $3/2 Pantene Products from 6/24/12 SS, $0.34 each after coupons!
• Papermate Profile Pens (2 pack), $1.64, $1/1 PaperMate Target printable, $0.64 after coupon!
• Aquafresh Ultimate White Toothpaste, $1.89, $1/1 Aquafresh Target printable, $0.89 after coupon!
• Chobani Champions Greek Yogurt (4 pack), $3, Use $1/1 Chobani Champions Greek Yogurt Target printable, Plus use $1/1 Chobani Yogurt printable, $1 after coupons!
• Smuckers Uncrustables, $2.94, $1/1 Smuckers Uncrustables printable, $1.94 after coupon!
• Women’s Mossimo Tanks, $5, $3/1 Mossimo Women’s Apparel Item Target printable, $2 after coupon!
• Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme, $5.99, Use $2/1 Garnier Nourshing Color Creme printable. Plus use $1/1 Garnier Hair Color Target printable, $2.99 after coupons!
• Biotrue Twin Packs, $13.99, Get $5 Target Gift Card when you buy 2 twin packs, Buy 2 and use (2) $3/ 1 Biotrue Solution Twin Pack from 7/15/12 SS, Plus use $3/1 Biotrue Target Mobile Coupon, $6.99 per twin pack ($3.49 per bottle) after coupons and gift card!
Thanks for coming today, Suzy friends. Nice visiting with you. See you again tomorrow.