Search Our Smart Money
|Sign up to receive Our Smart Money|
Suzy is feeling mellow on this mid-week day, having enjoyed a perfectly wonderful dinner last night, rich in fresh vegetables from the family garden and nice family dinner-time conversation. Nothing like that to set the stage for a good night’s sleep and the right attitude to face a new – and wonderful – day. Hope you are having the same great start to this Wednesday as we head to the downside of the last full week in July. You can see August and the start of school from here.
Suzy gave you a heads-up last week, but . . .Just a reminder that Target typically marks toys 70-75% off around the last Wednesday or Thursday in July. Suzy has details here. This can vary from store to store, but as a general rule it’s when the clearance prices go the lowest.
You may want to call your local store to see if you can find out more.
Back-to-school shoe discount
Good news! A new Shoe Carnival coupon has been released! This should help you save on some back-to-school shoe needs. Click on the banner to print a $5 coupon good on any purchase of $39.98 or more.
Coupon is valid through 9/4/12, but hurry and print it now while it’s available.
Thanks to Suzy friend, Norma Oliver (KyForward’s furniture rescuer) for sharing this info. Suzy has checked out the very informative site and added it to her favorites list. You may want to do the same.
It’s MedicineNet – a health and medical information site produced by doctors so you can make informed decisions about your health concerns.
It contains a wealth of information you need to stay healthy and get healthy – and to prepare you for the doctor’s visit you need to make (or need to encourage a loved one to make.)
Want to know about prostate cancer, ADHD in adults, controlling blood sugar, cellulite, weight gain, boils, your sex drive? It’s all there and more. Access effective exercises you can do at home, which superfoods you should be eating. . .even pet health advice.
We spend a lot of money of health insurance and health care. The more we know, the more we can be pro-active in controlling our health care costs – and in preventing the need for expensive remedies. We have to do what we can to keep ourselves healthy – and keep our loved ones healthy too.
Being well informed is a first step.
A reader shares this important USE LESS “tightwad tip,” and it makes all kinds of sense. Suzy keeps saying that things (like pennies) add up, small things become big things . . .and that would certainly be true in regard to USING LESS of everything we use. It just may be ENOUGH. No telling how much we can save by being truly Smart and frugal:
Several years ago I read The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn. One of her tightwad tips made a big impression on me and has stayed with me over the years: USE LESS.
Do you really need to fill the laundry detergent cap to the line determined by the manufacturer before you dump it in the washer? Or will your clothes get clean using a bit less?
Do you need to fill the palm of your hand with shampoo to wash your hair? Or will a smaller amount do the job?
This idea can be applied to everything from condiments to cleaning products. Experiment in your home to see if using smaller amounts of products will give acceptable results.
The great thing is, you have nothing to lose. If your clothes don’t seem to get as clean with less detergent, or you don’t have enough lather to wash your hair properly using less shampoo, you can always go back to using more.
But you may just find that less is enough, thereby making those products last longer and ultimately your money go further.
Well, how about that, Suzy friends. Common sense. $mart sense. Use less.
Eating out — coupons
Headed out to eat this weekend? Here are a few of the best restaurant coupons, thanks to Surviving The Stores, see the web site for more:
• Beef O Bradys Coupon – $3 Off $15 or $5 Off $25 Purchase (exp: 8/15/2012)
• Boston Market Coupon – $25 Boston Market Gift Card for $12.50 (First Time Saveology Buyers) (exp: 8/31/2012)
• Chilis Coupon – Free Skillet Queso & Chips When You Join the Email Club (exp: 7/31/2012)
• Papa Murphys Coupon – $7 Any Family Size 2-Topping Delite Pizza (exp: 7/31/2012)
• Qdoba Mexican Grill Coupon – Free Chips & Salsa WYB 1 Entree (exp: 7/31/2012)
• Sonic Coupon – Free Small Tots WYB Any Sonic Premium Hot Dog (exp: 8/10/2012)
• Waffle House Coupon – FREE Soft Drink (exp: 8/1/2012)
• White Castle Coupon – Buy 1 Get 1 Free Shake Parfaits (exp: 8/12/2012)
Kroger deals this week
Here are a few, check out SavingsLifestyle.com for all the deals
• Oscar Mayer Bacon – $4.49, Buy 4 and Save $4 Instantly, Use $0.55/1 coupon from the 6/17 SmartSource insert, $2.49 each after coupon and Instant Reward
• Hamburger Helper, 4.7 – 7.5 oz – $1, Buy 3 and use $0.75/3 coupon from the 7/15 SmartSource insert, $0.67 each after coupon
• Post Honey Bunches Of Oats, 13-17 oz – $1.99, Use $1/1 printable, $0.99 after coupon
• Mott’s Apple Juice – $2.29, Use $1/1 printable (IE), $1.29 after coupon
• Ivory or Safeguard (2-3 Bars) – $1, Use $1/1 coupon from the 7/1 P&G insert, Free after coupon
• Stayfree (14-24 ct) – $2, Use $2/1 coupon from the 7/22 SmartSource insert, Free after coupon
• Colgate 4.6 oz – $1, Use $0.50/1 coupon from the 7/8 SmartSource insert, Free after coupon
• Colgate Plus or Triple Action Toothbrush – $1, Use $0.40/1 coupon from the 7/8 SmartSource insert, $0.20 after coupon
Enjoy this beautiful day, Suzy friends – and join us tomorrow for another one!