Search Our Smart Money
|Sign up to receive Our Smart Money|
Let’s have some fun, Suzy friends. If you haven’t been on a ‘scavenger hunt’ in a while, let’s try a short one in return for a chance to win $25 in MACY’S MONEY. Then, we will renew our efforts to stop littering and weare going to start jumping rope to get heart-healthy. Well, why not?
Macy’s giveaway – and ‘scavenger hunt’
Macy’s has another $25 in MACY’s MONEY for you as they move to their next special event this month. Print your certificate for a gift with any $35 Lancome purchase. Come on and get your beauty on!
To enter the drawing for the $25 in MACY’S MONEY, Suzy is sending you on a kind of cyberspace scavenger hunt. Don’t stop now – it’s just a little fun. Check out Macy’s Lancome site then simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of just ONE of Lancome’s popular fragrances.
Maybe you have a favorite. You’ll find plenty of them there. Remember, to be eligible for Suzy’s giveaways, you must have “liked” KyForward on Facebook and be signed up for our daily emails.
You have until midnight Sunday to go on the Lancome scavenger hunt. A winner will be announced right here on Monday. Don’t miss a chance to win $25 in MACY’S MONEY to make your next shopping trip even more $mart!
Meantime, remember that MACY’s big event this week is the Men’s Private Sale & Clearance, a 4-day-only sale, today through Sunday. You can use your Macy’s savings pass to get an extra 25% off the sale/clearance price. Shop online at www.macys.com and get the discount plus free shipping. Remember to print your special savings pass.
And don’t forget this fun contest
All you creative duct-tape geniuses, put that creativity to work to win a $250 Lowe’s gift card by taking the “Duct Tape Reuse Challenge.”
Just go to Earth911 on Facebook for all the details of the contest – which runs through August 15th – for a chance to win a $250 Lowe’s gift card – or a $100 or $50 Lowe’s gift card.
Then take a picture of your best duct-tape fix-it-up and send it in. Details on the Facebook site.
Go green . . .and hurry!
A basic go-green activity – perhaps the very first one – is STOP LITTERING! For goodness sake, you’d think everybody knew this already.
According to Keep America Beautiful’s (KAB), over 51 billion pieces of trash end up on U.S. roadways each year. While litter has decreased over the past few decades, there is still plenty of it.
Says Steven Stein of KAB, “On average, there’s one piece per foot for all U.S. roadways.”
Littering has a big impact on communities and environments. Some litter bugs might be surprised to find out just how far-reaching their bad habit really is. Litter can be surprisingly mobile, thanks largely to weather and waterways. Once litter finds a sewer drain, storm drain or smaller waterway it can travel for many miles to eventually be deposited on beaches or in larger bodies of water.
Apart from being unsightly, this traveling trash can pose serious threats to the wildlife and the ecosystems of our oceans and waterways. Animals often accidentally consume litter, mistaking it for food or end up getting tangled or trapped in it. Even without direct contact, litter can be harmful, as some materials become contaminants as they degrade over time.
Litter affects human health, communities and economies by contaminating water supplies and hurting the food chain, lowering property values and costing billions (that’s billions with a B!) in cleanup efforts just in the U.S. – not to mention worldwide. Keep America Beautiful estimates that the U.S. spends at least $11.5 billion annually on litter clean-up and prevention.
Please don’t litter, Suzy friends. It just isn’t nice in any way.
Stay healthy — exercise
Jumping rope is no longer just for 6-year-old girls. Experts say it’s a great way to exercise your heart, and it can improve eye-hand-foot coordination.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions for jump ropers who are just starting out:
• Keep a light grip on the handles.
• Hold your elbows close to your body and keep your shoulders relaxed.
• Keep your knees slightly bent.
• Use your wrist to turn the rope and create a smooth arc in the rope as it swings over your head.
• Maintain good posture with your head up and back straight.
• Don’t jump too high. This will help reduce impact on knees and ankles.
• Start easy and work up, Suzy friends. You’ll feel young again!
Back to school deals
As school is ramping up . . .you may need some last-minute bargains. It’s a jungle out there.
Try Walgreen’s for these deals . . .
• Bic Cristal Bold Pens – $0.49 with in-ad coupon. Use $1/1 coupon from the 7/29 SmartSource insert. Or buy 2 and use $1/2 coupon from the 7/29 SmartSource insert. Free after coupons.
• Bic Bright Florescent Highlighters – $0.79. Use $1/1 coupon from the 7/29 SmartSource insert. Free after coupon
• Wexford or Penway School Supplies – $1.49. 5 Subject Notebook, 3 Subject Composition Book, Graph Planning Pad (2 pk)
• Wexford or Penway Mini Memo or Compostion Books – 6/$1
• Crayola Washable Markers – $1.99
• Wexford School Supplies – $0.39 with in-ad coupon
• 5 Tab Dividers, 10 Pack Sheet Protectors
• Wexford Glue – $0.39 with in-ad coupon
• Wexford Erasers – $0.29 with in-ad coupon
• Wooden Ruler – $0.19 with in-ad coupon
• School Supplies – $0.39 with in-ad coupon
• Scotch Transparent Tape, Acco Paper Clips
• Sharpie Markers (2 pack) – $0.79 with in-ad coupon
• Wexford 1 inch Binder – $0.79 with in-ad coupon
• Wexford School Supplies – $0.99 with in-ad coupon
• Twistable Highlighters, Retractable Pens, Mechanical Pencils
Well, Suzy’s exhausted just thinking about that jump rope. Does that count? Ok, no slacking then – so get to it right after the ‘savenger hunt.’ See you tomorrow.