Calvin Borel’s unretirement day — gets a third and a fourth — and a big lovefest from Ellis Park fans
Calvin Borel — fitting right back in. (Cody Photography) By Jennie Rees Ellis Park Three-time Kentucky Derby winner Calvin Borel resumed his race-riding career Saturday at Ellis Park, with a third and fourth in two mounts, and you’d think he’d been retired five years rather than five months...
By Mallory Powell Special to KyForward On the first of May, 2015, Angelique Bell waited in a hair salon, reading the weekend section of the newspaper. She noticed an ad for a health research study that...
By Lee McClellan Special to KyForward The heavy dew that soaks your shoes in the early morning is often accompanied by thick fog, signs that summer is losing its grip. Fall will be here soon, a hunter’s...
Kentucky public high school graduates held steady in meeting the state’s college-readiness benchmarks on the ACT college-entrance exam in reading and English, but lost ground in meeting the state mathematics...
Subscribe to Business
During a groundbreaking event Thursday, Gov. Matt Bevin and Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer welcomed the 300 full and part-time jobs global shipping giant...
- More »
- Unemployment rates down in 93 Kentucky counties in July 2016; Fayette, Woodford among lowest
- Newport will be the first Smart City in the Midwest, says tech company Nexigen, SmartLINK's developer
- $7.5 million Riff Distilling Whiskey Campus project planned for historic buildings in Newport
- Delta Air Lines to add year-round, non-stop service to Minneapolis at Bluegrass Airport
- BBB Trends: Put down that hammer -- and look up an accredited contractor for your fall projects
Subscribe to Government
The 41st Annual Governor’s Local Issues Conference ended Friday at the Galt House in Louisville, with 830 local elected officials and community leaders...
- More »
- Vido named new director for enforcement at state Department for Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Lakeshore Learning Materials to locate distribution center in Midway, create 262 full-time jobs
- Kentucky Division of Surplus Property sends helpful items to Louisiana flood victims
- Legislative action considered on increasing level of minimum auto insurance requirements
- PSC approves Kentucky-American Water rate case settlement; monthly bills will increase on Aug. 28
Subscribe to Health
By Mallory Powell Special to KyForward On the first of May, 2015, Angelique Bell waited in a hair salon, reading the weekend section of the newspaper....
- More »
- Bevin's Medicaid proposal remains largely unchanged from June draft, approval uncertain
- Creative solutions needed to combat the national problem of skyrocketing drug prices
- SmartHealthToday: When to consider getting a joint replacement? There's really no simple answer
- No cure for epilepsy, but most people are able to control their seizures with medications
- Two UK colleges hosting Conference on Integrated Behavioral Health in primary care Friday
Subscribe to Philanthropy
The third annual Savory Cycle will take place on Sept. 25. The event involves a leisurely-paced bike ride through the Bluegrass, paired with a progressive...
- More »
- Zepeda, Rider, Hammons to be recognized for service during Kentucky Summit on Philanthropy
- Kentucky Horse Park program offers admission support for some state schools for field trips
- Voices of Hope hosting fourth annual event to raise awareness about overdose prevention
- Statewide Summit on Philanthropy to feature keynoter Cleveland Fed president Loretta Mester
- DeaFestival 2016 will transform Kentucky Center into ‘Land of Oz’ on Sept. 3
Subscribe to Education
Centre program provides interns with a chance to take on the nation’s capital among other challengesProviding students practical experience is a key focus of the Centre Commitment, which not only guarantees that students who meet academic and social expectations...
- More »
- UK Veterinary Diagnostic Lab director Carter wins international veterinary medicine prize
- Kentucky graduates make incremental gains on ACT scores overall, dropped in mathematics
- Campbellsville University Women's Alliance Brunch to feature Taylor native, WLEX anchor Nancy Cox
- Leadership Lexington Youth Program includes 33 juniors from Fayette County Public Schools
- Couple from Northern Kentucky pledges $1 million for academic, athletics projects at EKU
Subscribe to Sports
By Russ Brown KyForward correspondent LOUISVILLE — It might have been the best-kept secret involving Louisville’s 2015 football season. No,...
- More »
- Kentucky Afield Outdoors: Follow these four tips and you'll bag more doves this coming season
- Brohm chooses redshirt junior White as starter at quarterback when Toppers take on Rice
- Hall of Fame jockey Calvin Borel to resume riding career at Ellis Park on Saturday, aboard Kiss My Note
- New Cat Walk, Junior Wildcat Club Day, Heroes Day among special events planned for UK home games
- Cats' Toth, Williams earn spots on coaches’ preseason All-SEC third team
Subscribe to News
State Supreme Court rejects Lexington abortion clinic bid to stay open while it challenges Appeals CourtThe only abortion clinic in the eastern half of Kentucky will remain closed while it appeals the state’s closure of it to the state Supreme Court. The...
- More »
- KyCIR: Trump campaign experiencing major summer surge in Kentucky political donations
- Feds send over $12 million in economic development grants to Kentucky's SOAR region
- Woodford exploring syringe exchange; county attorney says problem 'only going to get worse'
- Kentucky American Water continues system upgrades with $1 million Sixth Street project
- KyCIR: Supposedly antiquated practice of vote-buying remains alive and well around Kentucky
Subscribe to Region/State
Calvin Borel’s unretirement day — gets a third and a fourth — and a big lovefest from Ellis Park fansCalvin Borel — fitting right back in. (Cody Photography) By Jennie Rees Ellis Park Three-time Kentucky Derby winner Calvin Borel resumed his race-riding...
- More »
- Keeneland's fifth-grade tours educate local students about state's thoroughbred industry
- Doctors at Norton Heart first to offer newly approved Watchman implant to treat A-fib
- U of L's Conn Center for Renewable Energy to grow hemp for possible use in manufacturing, fuels
- Bevin administration submits revised Medicaid waiver proposal to federal government
- U of L named ‘Best of the Best’ among LGBTQ-friendly universities, joins 16 with five-star rating
Subscribe to Living
The University of Kentucky Art Museum will kick off a citywide retrospective of the work of celebrated Lexington-based artist Louis Zoellar Bickett this...
- More »
- The Lyric Theatre & Cultural Arts Center begins new luncheon series featuring art therapy theme
- DanceBlue among organizations benefitting from Coach Calipari's Celebrity Softball Classic
- Berry Craig: Louisville publisher, diplomat Bingham saved historic St. Mary's Parish in England
- Three school bands from Fayette invited to perform for Kentucky Music Educators conference
- NASCAR to offer free youth ticketing for 2017 XFINITY and Camping World Truck races
Subscribe to Opinion
By Rep. Darryl Owens Special to KyForward In spite of massive public outcry, which included testimony from medical professionals, warnings from vision...
- More »
- Billy Reed: Imagining a Kentucky where Bevin decided to use governing style to 'help' our sports
- Commentary: Some issues addressed in revised Medicaid waiver, but concerns remain
- Bill Straub: Barr seems more concerned with plight of the banks than helping the truly needy
- Constance Alexander: Coincidence or divine intervention, those with disabilities getting attention
- Commentary: Five major challenges facing Kentucky college students in 2016