A nonprofit publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

Properly working home-heating devices, carbon monoxide detectors can save lives

With recent temperatures below freezing, the Department for Public Health (DPH), within the Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS), wants to remind residents to take action to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning (CO). “Carbon monoxide poisonings are more likely during colder weather, so it is very important that Kentucky residents make sure their heating sources and carbon monoxide detectors...

Kentucky receives $75,000 grant to loan smart-home technology to individuals with disabilities

The Kentucky Assistive Technology Services (KATS) Network, within the Education and Workforce Development Cabinet, will now loan smart-home technology to help individuals with paralysis become more independent. Funded through the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation, Kentucky received $75,000 from the High Impact Innovative Assistive Technology (HIIAT) grant for the My New Kentucky Smart Home program...

Kentuckians should prepare to ‘fall back’ by checking home carbon monoxide detectors

Now that Kentuckians have turned back the clocks, and with temperatures falling, officials are reminding residents to take action to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. “To prepare for colder weather, Kentuckians should make sure their heat sources and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order,” said Dr. Angela Dearinger, Commissioner for Kentucky’s Department for Public Health.   On...