A nonprofit publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

Jan Hillard: Conspiracy theories and COVID-19 — better the devil you know than a world you don’t

COVID 19 is fraught with fear, uncertainty, inconvenience, and threat. In times like these, most Americans rely on science, medicine, and the legitimate media to make sense of and take individual action regarding the virus. There are however some Americans who follow a much different path to navigate the virus. For these individuals, conspiracy theories provide explanations of the origins of the virus,...

Jan Hillard: We are all in this together, except for our partisan differences

It is expected that our political parties differ on many issues such as the economy, foreign affairs, and the role of government. These differences are reflected in public opinion and across political leaders. However, it would be reasonable to expect that partisan differences would significantly lessen during the current pandemic. Instead, the opposite is true. During the pandemic, partisan differences...

Jan Hillard: The shape of things to come — What will the economy post-COVID-19 look like?

The devasting economic recession we now face is not news to anyone. We all know someone who is now out of work and struggling with living expenses. We all see shuttered local businesses, many uncertain of their futures, and often facing the prospects of bankruptcy. This is economic devastation. We are less certain of what the economic future holds. Will the economy rebound or will it continue in free...

Jan Hillard: Making sense of COVID-19 — the two faces of public opinion which vary dramatically

There are two faces of public opinion surrounding COVID-19. One face represents the roughly 75% of the public who support science, believe that COVID 19 requires widespread caution, and trusts the government’s response. This is the face of science and reason. The other face represents 25% of the public who does not believe the scientific facts about COVID 19 and are suspicious of government’s...