A nonprofit publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

Tuition? $6 a month; Library usage? $2.50; Lindsey Wilson College in the ’20s? Priceless


Lindsey Wilson College Alumni Director Randy Burns, right, reviews material donated from the estate of the late Philip T. Aaron of Russell County, who attended Lindsey Wilson from 1927-29. Burns is joined by Aaron’s daughter, Mary Blakey, and her husband, Gary, both of Jamestown. (Photo from LWC)


 

It cost $6 per month to attend Lindsey Wilson Junior College in 1928-29, but $2.50 a month if a student wanted to take only shorthand and typewriting.
 

That was among the interesting tidbits that came to light at Lindsey Wilson when the college received a half-dozen items from the late 1920s. The items belonged to the late Philip T. Aaron of Russell County, who attended Lindsey Wilson from 1927-29.
 

Aaron’s daughter, Mary Blakey, and her husband, Gary, both of Jamestown, brought the items to the LWC Sue Craven Stivers Alumni House to be placed in the college’s archives. Items donated include five pictures and a copy of the the 44-page 1928-29 Lindsey Wilson Bulletin. That school year began Sept. 11, 1928, with a “formal opening and matriculation of students” and concluded May 24, 1929, with commencement.
 

The late Philip T. Aaron of Russell County is seated on the right end of the front row in this picture of the 1929 Lindsey Wilson volleyball team. (Photo from LWC)

The 1928-29 Bulletin lists the 222 students enrolled at Lindsey Wilson in 1927-28; ernollment included the junior college (86), high school (95), and commercial and music departments (41). Twelve faculty and staff were listed for 1928-29, and Lindsey Wilson was led by President and Business Manager R.V. Bennett, who also taught Bible and mathematics. Murrell was the college’s registrar.
 

For $2.50 a semester, students received unlimited use of the library, which featured 2,800 books and was located in “a well-lighted room on the second floor of the Main Building,” now known as the L.R. McDonald Administration Building. The library was “furnished with chairs and tables and is supplied with the best magazines and papers.”
 

In addition to the Main Building, the Bulletin lists six other college buildings on the campus: the Gymnasium, now W.W. Slider Humanities Center; Girls’ Dormitory, now Phillips Hall; Boys’ Dormitory, a three-story building renamed Chandler Hall and razed more than 30 years ago; a dairy barn; president’s home; and a new “nice frame residence, adjoining the campus, for the use of married teachers.”
 

It cost $15 per month to live in the the dormitories, which was paid in advance. Male students were required to make a $3 damage deposit and 50-cent key deposit. If students wanted a light more powerful than the 40-watt bulb supplied by the college, they were “charged an additional rate.” Students also had to pay an extra $1.50 per semester if they wanted to use an electric iron.
 

After he graduated from Lindsey Wilson, Aaron taught school for a year in a Russell County, then enjoyed a 21-year career in the Navy. He was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed by the Japanese on Dec. 7, 1941, and he served in the Pacific Theater in World War II before retiring as a lieutenant commander. He returned to Russell County, where he was a post office clerk before retiring from that post. He died in 2005 at the age of 95.
 

From Lindsay Wilson College


Related Posts

Leave a Comment