A nonprofit publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

USDA Farm Service Agency issues safety-net, conservation payments to Kentucky farmers

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) in Kentucky is processing $9,688,641 in Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) payments for the 2018 crop year.

Additionally, Kentucky FSA will distribute $32,039,597 in Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) rental payments to landowners to support voluntary conservation efforts on private lands.

FSA began processing payments for 2018 ARC-County (ARC-CO) or PLC on covered commodities that triggered payments on enrolled farms in the 2018 crop year. FSA anticipates issuing more payments in November once USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service publishes additional commodity prices for the 2018 crop.

In Kentucky, 115 counties have experienced a drop in price or revenues below the benchmark price established by the ARC or PLC programs and will receive payments.

Producers who had 2018 covered commodities enrolled in ARC-CO can visit www.fsa.usda.gov/arc-plc for payment rates applicable to their county and each covered commodity. For farms and covered commodities enrolled in 2018 PLC, the following crops met payment triggers: wheat, barley, corn, grain sorghum and canola. Oats and soybeans did not meet 2018 PLC payment triggers.

2018 PLC payment rates for the following covered commodities have not been determined: large chickpeas, small chickpeas, sunflower seed, flaxseed, mustard seed, rapeseed, safflower, crambe, sesame seed, seed cotton, long grain rice, medium grain rice and temperate Japonica rice.

Also, this week, USDA began issuing 2019 CRP payments to support voluntary conservation efforts on private lands. In Kentucky, 14,592 landowners will receive compensation for their efforts to improve water quality, reduce soil erosion and improve wildlife habitat on 203,394.05 acres enrolled in CRP throughout the state.

For more information about USDA programs or to locate your FSA county office, visit www.farmers.gov.


Related Posts

Leave a Comment